With your ELL card you can open a bank account without having to get your Portuguese NIF number
What are the advantages of a Portuguese bank account?
- Avoid carrying too much money around.
- Avoid paying maintenance/cancellation bank fees.
- Avoid paying tax when you withdraw money.
- Be able to pay your house and day by day expenses in an easier way.
- Avoid paying commission for the bank transactions or withdraws.
- Be able to charge your Portuguese mobile phone in any ATM.
- Charge your monthly Lisbon transportation pass (Viva Viagem Card).
- Buy train tickets.
- Pay all kind of services and more.
What you need to do?
Come to Erasmus Corner and get the Erasmus Form that costs 5€ (do it in 5 minutes); no need for a Portuguese tax NIF number (if you are a EU citizen) and you will have your debit card in less than 72 hours. If you aren't a EU citizen, don't worry visit us in our office and we will explain you everything.
Did you know that Portugal has the most innovative ATM System in the World?
For example you can very easily charge your SIM card or pay your rent by making a transfer to another Portuguese account.
For transport purposes a Portuguese debit card also has an advantage because the ticket machines do not accept foreign debit cards, so if you are stuck without cash or a Portuguese debit card you will have to find an ATM somewhere first. With your BPI Bank debit card you can charge your transportation card or buy train tickets in a minute!
ADDRESS BPI BANK: Largo do Chiado 24, 1200-108 Lisboa